Some Indian thinkers (poets) were conferred the title of "Sir" by the queen (of england), however, they did not feel good about it. This they expressed in their poetry -
Eyi manehor amay nahi shaajey
Eke porte gele laagey
Eke chidte gele baajey
- Rabindranath Tagore
(some of his writings can be viewed at:
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=KmurjO7AQ1sC&lpg=PA1045&ots=nBItiO65qD&dq=rabindranath%20tagore%20poems%20title%20of%20sir%20conferred&pg=PA1037#v=onepage&q=&f=false
specifically page 1044 section 20 on knighthood expresses his feelings)
Kya kahun apne chaman se main juda kyon kar hua
Aur asir-e-halqa-e-daam-e-hawa kyon kar hua
Jaaye hairat hai bura saare zamaane ka hun main,
Mujhko ye khilat sharaafat ka ita kyon kar hua
How from my garden I chanced to stray
And how I was whirlwind trapped, I cannot say
I'm the worst creature on earth; why, then, I wonder,
Have I been honoured with the badge of a gentleman ?
- Muhammed Iqbal (translated / explained by KC Kanda)
Wednesday, September 23, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment